We're dedicated to quality & serving the community
Among Ellis Medicine's honors:
- A New York State designated Primary Stroke Center and recipient of the Gold/Gold Plus Award from the American Stroke Association (2007-2014).
- A fully accredited Center of Excellence by the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatic Surgery.
- A Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Care, Cardiac Care and for Knee & Hip Replacement as awarded by BlueCross BlueShield of Northeastern New York.
- 2013 MassExcellence Gold Baldrige Award winner, recognized for our dedication and work to create a culture and systems where innovation and performance excellence become the accepted norm.
- 5 Rings Award by IntelliCentrics, Inc. in recognition for excellence in vendor credentialing and creating a culture of vigilance, making hospitals safer for employees and patients.
- 2013 “Corporation of the Year” designated by the Chamber of Schenectady County.
Overview of quality measures and financial summary
Each year, Ellis Medicine compiles a Community Service & Quality Report. This publication serves to provide the public with information about hospital programs that address identified health needs, with explicit attention paid to disadvantaged members of our service area. The report also provides an annual financial summary and an overview of quality measures. If you have any questions about this report or would like to receive more information, please call 518.243.3466.
2014 Community Service & Quality Report
Pursuant to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, not-for-profit hospitals such as Ellis Medicine are required by IRS regulations to develop and make available to the public a Community Health Needs Assessment and Implementation Strategy. Additionally, as a not-for-profit hospital in New York State, Ellis Medicine, working in conjunction with Schenectady County Public Health Services and other community partners, is required by the state Department of Health to compile a Community Service Plan to address identified health priorities in our service area.
In 2013, Ellis led an innovative, door-to-door survey along with the Schenectady Coalition for a Healthy Community to find the community’s health needs. Using the UMatter Survey, along with data from the Healthy Capital District Initiative and New York State Department of Health, the group identified themain health priorities for Schenectady County that need to be addressed.
2013 Community Health Needs Assessment
2013 HCDI Community Profile
More Quality Measures
There are many factors that should be considered when choosing a hospital, including accreditation by a nationally recognized agency like the The Joint Commission, reputation, experience and qualifications of physicians, and the range of services provided, among others.
There are also various hospital report cards that can provide quality information. These report cards are intended to improve the overall quality of care and help people make informed healthcare decisions.
Many different report cards exist, making the process of evaluating healthcare organizations challenging with conflicting information and different ratings. In an effort to be consistent, Ellis Medicine reports its quality measures to:
- The Joint Commission Quality Check
- Department of Health Hospital-Acquired Infection Report
- Department of Health Hospital Profile Quality Section
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Compare
Ellis does not report to other report cards such as Niagara Health Quality Coalition or Leapfrog Hospital Safety Score as these aren’t recognized as leading quality report cards.
Read more on hospital report cards with the Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) Report on Report Cards.
In addition to sampling hospital report cards you should also talk with friends and neighbors about their hospital experiences and consult with your doctor in order to make a well-informed decision that you can be comfortable with.
If you have any questions about Ellis Medicine’s quality of care or about a score Ellis received on a hospital report card, please contact Ellis’ Quality Services Department at 518.243.4196.
As a not-for-profit organization, Ellis Medicine is dedicated to being a good steward of its resources. To this end, Ellis Medicine, which is overseen by a volunteer board of trustees, strives to be as transparent as possible in its operations. In addition to the financial summary in our annual community report, we invite you to view the following financial information:
Ellis Medicine Audited Financial Statement
Ellis Medicine Form 990 and Form 990-T Year 2012.
To learn more about Ellis Medicine, please call 1.888.Ellis Info (1.888.355.4746).