Family Medicine Residency Overview
Ellis' Family Medicine Residency focuses on maintaining a highly supportive resident-centered atmosphere to promote excellent care for our high-needs patient population. Our diverse faculty enable residents to spearhead comprehensive outpatient care which includes complicated disease management, addiction, HIV/viral hepatitis, women’s health, point-of-care ultrasound, osteopathic manipulation, and procedures. As a single Residency Program site, trainees develop ownership over a culturally-diverse inpatient population. Residents build personal relationships with specialists and perform numerous procedures as the only residents on intensive care (adult and neonatal), labor and delivery, inpatient medicine, and numerous subspecialties. Utilizing excellent mentor support, residents are empowered to hone unique interests and plan career goals. The program produces holistic physicians, many of whom immediately enter primary care or hospital medicine in the area.
- Single program site in large community hospital
- Resident-focused family mentality
- Comprehensive pre-clinical orientation month
- Full patient continuity across outpatient, OB, and inpatient settings
- Encouraging and comprehensive OB training with priority access to surgical fellowship
- Comprehensive training in addiction, HIV/infectious disease, and women’s health
- Emphasis on community involvement
- Free on-campus meals
We are fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
We are foreign-graduate friendly! We will routinely take international medical graduates in our pursuit to build a strong program. J1 Visas have been sponsored and will be considered on a case by case basis.
Ellis Hospital - (Primary Hospital)
1101 Nott Street
Schenectady, NY 12308
Contact Us: ResidencyProgram@ellismedicine.org
Residency Program & Primary Care-Schenectady location:
Ellis Health Center
The Cushing Center
624 McClellan St.
Schenectady NY 12304
Bellevue Woman's Center
2210 Troy-Schenectady Road
Niskayuna, NY 12309
- Inner-city, urban, suburban
- Hospital beds available in the following services:
- Medicine (including Critical Care)
- Newborn Nursery
- Outpatient Clinic
The Cushing Building
624 McClellan Street, Suite 101
Schenectady, NY 12304
Faculty to resident ratio during patient care hours
1 physically present faculty to 4 residents at Primary Care-Schenectady.
Medical School Affiliations
- Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
- New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, NYCOM, Old Westbury, NY
Affiliated Hospitals for required rotations